Friday 4 March 2016

Lace me Up!





Corsetry is something that has always fascinated me. As an lifestyle 'concept' I am pretty against it, seeing as how it can damage the body; I have watched videos of people who practise tight-lacing and waist training and, whilst captivating, it is somewhat disturbing. Tight-lacing can actually cause muscular atrophy; the stomach muscles can become weakened and the body becomes reliant on the corset for support. 

Aesthetically I can see the appeal of corsetry, and if the corset in question is not being worn all day every day, but more as a fashion item for a few hours, I think it can create a very striking look.


In the past, corsets would have been worn as underwear, tightly and painfully laced to create the hourglass figure. But these days I think they are more associated with Burlesque and performance. Something a little bit 'other' and slightly taboo, without being too risqué. 


I am a huge Camille O'Sullivan fan, and she is well known for the dramatic vintage look she adopts on stage. A corset is, in my mind, undoubtedly sensual, and it nods towards the exciting and illicit, because even though all aspects of society, including the upper classes, would have worn them in the past, now it conjures up images of the Moulin Rouge.  



Perhaps the most famous modern day advocator of the look is Burlesque queen, and Marilyn Manson's ex, Dita Von Teese. Here she is in a gorgeous floral number, looking a bit like a sexy hanging basket, and here again, as the sexiest Koi fish you've ever seen! 








No comments:

Post a Comment